If you are a lover of superheroes, comic books and movies, then chances are you probably have visited a comic con or two over the last few years.
Going to a comic con can be a fun and exciting adventure, and one you can experience with a whole community of people who share your interests and passions. But what is the best comic con that you can attend?
Currently, countless comic con events are being held throughout the year, but one of our favorites has to be the Emerald City Comic Con or ECCC for short.
Coming from humble beginnings, the ECCC was first launched in Seattle, Washington in 2003 and has since become an annual event that is usually held over four days.
When the Emerald City Comic Con was first established in 2003, the event was held exclusively at Qwest Field, a multi-purpose stadium located on the periphery of the city.
But in 2008, the location was changed to the Washington State Convention Center, where it has remained to this very day.
Although the convention can offer all the anime, manga and tabletop games you could ever ask for, we understand that going to a comic con is not an easy task.
So that is why we have compiled this ultimate guide to the ECCC, which contains everything you need to know about the event, as well as tickets, parking and costume ideas.
So why not take a look and get yourself prepared for your next comic con outing, we promise you won’t be disappointed!
Buying Your Ticket/Badge For Emerald City Comic Con
Before you can start preparing your costume or packing away your toothbrush, there’s one thing that you need to do first, and that is to buy your ticket for the event.
Fortunately, Emerald City Comic Con’s tickets and premium packages are made available to the public via their website, which is the only online platform where you can purchase the tickets and packages.
All tickets are usually released several months in advance, with the release dates being available on the Emerald City Comic Con website.
All tickets and premium packages offered by the convention are non-refundable and non-transferable, so if you can only attend one day, we recommend that you purchase a single ticket to save on expenses.
Although all single-day tickets can be purchased for reasonable prices, Emerald City Comic Con also offers premium packages that ensure a more comfortable and stress-free experience.
We have outlined each one down below to help you understand the various tickets and premium packages that the convention offers.
- 4-Day Ticket: This ticket is valid for one person and ensures admission on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and is usually priced at $125.
- Thursday Ticket: This ticket is valid for one person and ensures admission to the Thursday convention and is usually priced at $30.
- Friday Ticket: This ticket is valid for one person and ensures admission to the Friday convention and is usually priced at $48.
- Saturday Ticket: This ticket is valid for one person and ensures admission to the Saturday convention and is usually priced at $55.
- Sunday Ticket: This ticket is valid for one person and ensures admission to the Sunday convention and is usually priced at $48.
- Kids 4-Day Ticket: This ticket is valid for 1 child between the ages of 6-12 and ensures admission to all four convention days and is usually priced at $20.
- The Fanatic: This package is valid for 1 person and ensures four-day admission, private lounge access, premium access and official ECCC merchandise. This package is usually priced at $230.
- The Collector: This package is valid for 1 person and ensures four-day admission, private lounge access, premium access, official ECCC merchandise and a 10% discount at the ECCC show store. This package is usually priced at $270.
- The Superstar: This package is valid for 1 person and ensures four-day admission, private lounge access, premium access, official ECCC merchandise and advanced access to celebrity autographing and photo opportunities. This package is usually priced at $315.
- The Family Plan: This package is valid for 2 adults and 2 children and ensures four-day admission, private lounge access, pre-show reservations, official ECCC merchandise and $40 worth of vouchers. This package is usually priced at $400.
What To Bring To Emerald City Comic Con
If you have never been to Emerald City Comic Con before, then you are probably wondering what supplies you need to take.
Whether you are visiting for a single event or plan to enjoy all four convention days, you need to make sure that you have everything you need for a day of fun and adventure.
Of course, what you decide to take to Emerald City Comic Con is entirely up to you, as you are the only person who understands your own needs and preferences.
However, there are some basic items that we think every visitor should have in their possession, and we have outlined them down below to lend a helping hand.
- A Backpack:
When it comes to attending the ECCC, we would always recommend taking a strong and durable backpack, as you are going to need a place to store away all the stuff you will inevitably need or buy.
You should always make sure that your backpack is of a decent size and that it is comfortable to wear for long periods.
Although Emerald City Comic Con will provide plenty of food and drinks for you to purchase, they can often be expensive and hard to find.
That is why we recommend carrying some provisions in your backpack, to make sure you are fed and energized throughout the day. The best options for daily snacks include potato chips and granola bars, but the decision is up to you.
- Water Bottle:
Even though the Emerald City Comic Con is held in Seattle, the convention has been known to get hot and stuffy, which is why we recommend having a supply of water close to hand.
Staying hydrated is always an important practice, and taking a reusable water bottle can save you both time and money.
- Storage Tube:
When you go to Emerald City Comic Con, chances are you will probably leave with a new poster or art piece, which are prone to damage when they are not properly protected.
So to keep all paper-based materials safe, we recommend investing in a storage tube. These handy devices can be used to store a large number of posters and can be easily carried on your back.
- Autograph Book:
If you are planning on meeting some of your favorite celebrities at Emerald City Comic Con, then it is always a good idea to carry an autograph book in your backpack.
Not only do autograph books make things easier for celebrities, but they can also be used to keep all of your signatures in one handy place.
- Phone & Chargers:
In this day and age, it’s almost a given that you will always carry a phone on your person, but you should also never forget to take your charger as well.
Comic cons are long events and this means you can quickly run out of battery if you are constantly taking pictures and updating social media. So always take a charger to keep your phone juiced and ready to go.
- Anything Else You Need:
If this is your first time going to Emerald City Comic Con, then you are bound to make a few mistakes and leave stuff behind. But this is all part of the learning process, and it will help you to be more prepared when you return.
What To Wear To Emerald City Comic Con
If you are attending Emerald City Comic Con for the first time, then you probably want to make an impression by wearing your best clothes.
We understand that looking good can also make you feel good and that many people take their appearance and fashion very seriously.
However, when it comes to attending the ECCC, the only thing we can recommend is to wear clothing that is comfortable and movable.
Because the Emerald City Comic Con is held in Seattle, a city known for its cold and rainy weather, it is also advisable that you wear layers of clothing throughout the day.
Our best advice would be to pair a t-shirt and jeans with a warm and comfortable hoodie, as this will help to keep you warm if you are expected to queue outside.
You can then remove the hoodie after you have entered the venue, which will usually be warmer due to the large crowds of people.
If you are planning to wear a cosplay outfit, then comfort may be a bit more difficult, as many costumes are made using insulating materials.
Nevertheless, we recommend trying to construct your costume in a way that is practical and comfortable, as this will greatly benefit your ECCC experience.
It is also advisable to always have a set of spare clothes, just in case you need to change out of your costume due to damage or heat.
Regardless of whether you are wearing casual clothes or cosplay, you should always ensure that you are wearing comfortable shoes, as Emerald City Comic Con is a large event that will require you to do a lot of walking and queueing.
During the various events and autograph signings, you may never get a chance to sit down and relax, so don’t punish yourself or your feet by wearing impractical shoes.
Easy Emerald City Comic Con Costume Ideas
We understand that the concept of wearing a costume in a room full of strangers can seem a little daunting.
So daunting in fact, that you may even have put off making your costume until the very last minute, leaving you with limited time and resources to whip something up.
If this is the case, then you have nothing to worry about, as some of the most convincing cosplay can be made using basic items found in your closet or at a local costume store. To help inspire you, we have compiled a short selection of easy costume ideas that can be whipped up in no time at all.
- Clark Kent: If that officially licensed superman costume was outside of your budget, then why not don a pair of glasses and a suit and transform yourself into the character’s alter ego. To add a touch of drama to this particular cosplay, you can even wear a superman t-shirt beneath the layers, which you can reveal to friends and passersby.
- Bob’s Burgers: If you and your friends are looking for a group cosplay idea, then there’s no better suggestion than the iconic Belcher family. Not only will you look immediately recognizable, but these costumes are also easy to make and require very little in terms of skill and construction.
- Ghostbusters: This simple yet effective cosplay can be easily executed by wearing a beige jumpsuit with a black backpack and some tubes. Although the overall look may be amateurish, your hard work and effort will always be noted by those around you.
- Powerpuff Girls: Why not bring some girl power to the party by dressing up as Townsville’s favorite superhero team. All you need for this costume are some simple dresses, white socks and black shoes. If you want to elevate the look even more, then why not splurge on some wigs for those iconic Powerpuff hairstyles.
Can You Go To Emerald City Comic Con Without A Costume?
Of course, you can! No rule states you have to wear a costume to the ECCC, so what you decide to wear is entirely up to you.
However, if you enjoy wearing casual clothing that sports your favorite characters and franchises, then we highly recommend that you wear them, as they can be a great way to bond with other fans over your shared interests.
What Do You Do If Nobody Gets Your Cosplay?
When you have spent a lot of time and money on making your costume, then it can be disheartening to learn that no one knows who you are.
But don’t let it get you down! Emerald City Comic Con is attended by thousands of people every year, and someone is bound to understand what your cosplay is.
If you have decided to dress up as your original character, then you shouldn’t expect people to comment on your costume. However, even an original cosplay can be used to start conversations with other creative individuals.
Guide To ECCC Lines & Crowds
Unfortunately, most comic conventions are going to be crowded and this means you will also have to wait in a lot of queues.
However, if you organize your day and prioritize waiting in lines over shopping or stalls, then you could get a large chunk of waiting done and out of the way, which will give you more time to explore the convention.
Getting Your Comics Signed
Emerald City Comic Con is known to host a large selection of artists, writers and celebrities – so if you are interested in getting your comics signed, then this is the place for you.
However, these guests will usually charge for their autographs, with the price varying depending on the person’s prominence or fame.
The price of a celebrity autograph will usually be made available on the convention’s website, with the information being released before the event. Although if this is not the case, then the prices will also be listed at the actual venue.
How Much Money Do You Need?
The amount of money you take to Emerald City Comic Con does come down to how much you are willing to spend. If you feel like money is no issue, then you could probably spend hundreds of dollars on merchandise and comics.
However, we would recommend giving yourself a budget to work with, to ensure that you do not waste any money.
Sometimes you may feel like you haven’t brought enough money, which can also be disconcerting and stressful. In these situations, we recommend that you use an ATM to get yourself some more cash.
Not only are ATMs a fast and effective way to get more money, but they can also be found in the venue and surrounding area.
Don’t Forget To Bargain
Shopping at any comic convention can be a straightforward process, especially if you have no issue with the prices or merchandise. However, if you find a certain item to be too expensive, then it is perfectly acceptable to haggle with the seller.
If you go to the ECCC with the intention of haggling with any seller you encounter, then we recommend that you first do some research on the product that you want. As you don’t want to embarrass yourself by offering a ridiculously low price.
It is also important to always remain friendly, as a positive and welcoming attitude could make the seller more likely to change the price. However, this is no guarantee, as some sellers will be relying on the convention to make their income and may not be willing to change their prices.
Other Tips For Emerald City Comic Con Goers
- Start Early: If you want to experience everything that Emerald City Comic Con has to offer, then we recommend starting your days bright and early. Not only will this help to avoid queues and crowds, but it will also make the overall experience more enjoyable.
- Don’t Touch: If you see a person wearing an elaborate cosplay, then you should never touch them or go in for a picture without their permission. The ECCC is very strict on this rule and will not abide physical or verbal harassment.
- Explore Seattle:
If you are travelling from far away, then you should also take some time to explore the surrounding city. Not only is Seattle the setting of many classic films, but it is also home to the Space Needle, the Seattle Aquarium and a vibrant Drag scene that is perfect for members of the LGBTQA+ community.
Hotels Near By
There are numerous hotels located near the Washington State Convention Center, with some of the best including:
- The Paramount Hotel
- Hotel Sorrento
- Hilton Seattle
- The Inn at Virginia Mason
Car Rental Near By
The area surrounding the WSCC is also home to a selection of car rentals, with some of the most popular being:
- Avis Car Rental
- Hertz Car Rental
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Parking At The Event
If you intend to drive to the event, then the WSCC does have its parking garage, which can fill up very quickly due to the crowds of visitors.
If the garage is full, then you can also park your car in the Freeway Park Garage or the Pacific Place mall.
Public Transport To The Event
Seattle offers several modes of transportation that can take you to the convention center, these include the Seattle bus system and the monorail. You can also get around the city by using a taxi or uber.