Boruto: Naruto Next Generation is the latest television series in the Naruto universe. There have been three series altogether, totaling over 1000 episodes: Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, and Boruto: Naruto Next Generation.
Attempting to watch all 243 episodes (and counting) of Boruto could be intimidating, so we have compiled a guide for you explaining exactly how to watch this series in order.
Boruto: Naruto Next Generation
Boruto is a spin-off and a sequel to the original Japanese series Naruto and Naruto Shippuden, by Masashi Kishimoto. It is produced by Pierrot and directed by Noriyuki Abe.
The Boruto series differs from its prequels. It follows the story of the main character, Boruto, who is the son of the beloved anime character Naruto Uzumaki.
This ongoing anime has aired every Sunday since it first premiered on TV Tokyo in 2017. It does not have any official seasons or arc designations, so all 240+ episodes are one ongoing story.
There are a few different ways to watch Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episodes in order, let’s discuss them.
Most viewers watch Boruto, or any series, according to the release order. In the case of Boruto, the movie was released before the series premiered in 2017.
- Boruto: The Naruto movie (2015)
- Boruto: Naruto Next Generation Series (2017 – present)
The viewer should watch the canon and mixed episodes, as they tell the basic story of the series. The filler episodes can be skipped to save time because they have no real impact on the overall plot of the anime.
The filler episodes give a special insight into characters’ development. Sometimes, they also deviate from the manga version of the series.
- Filler episodes: 16-17, 40-41, 48-50, 67-69, 96-97, 104-105, 112-119, 138-140, 152-154, 156
- Filler episodes/mixed canon episodes: 18, 93-95, 106-111, 127, 192
- Manga canon episodes: 19-23, 39, 53-66, 148-151, 181-189, 193-208, 212-220
- Anime canon episodes: 1-15, 24-38, 42-47, 51-52, 70-92, 98-103, 120-126, 128-137, 141-147, 155, 157-180, 190-191, 209-211, 221-243
Boruto Story Arcs
Although there are no official story arcs, viewers have split the episodes into sections.
Some of these arcs are also seen as ‘filler’, but we have decided to not give away too many details, no major spoilers here.
Boruto: Naruto Next Generation is currently in its 23rd arc.
- The Academy Entrance Arc – introduces the children of the previous generation, and highlights Boruto, the son of Naruto Uzumaki, as the main character. (episode 1 – 18)
- The Sarada Uchiha Arc / Naruto Gaiden Arc – this arc focuses on Sasuke Uchiha and Sakura Uchiha’s daughter, Sarada. (episode 19 – 24)
- The School Trip Arc – Boruto’s class has a school trip to Kirigakure. (episode 25 – 32)
- The Graduation Exams Arc / Academy Graduation Arc – focuses on Shino Aburame’s class taking the Genin Exams. (episode 34 – 37)
- The Genin Missions Arc / Genin Arc – looks at Team 7’s first mission. (episode 40 – 42)
- The Byakuya Gang Arc – How Boruto and Shikadai deal with the noble thieves called the Byakuya Gang. (episode 43 – 47)
- The Versus Momoshiki Arc / Chūnin exams Arc – an adaptation of Boruto: Naruto the Movie, focusing on the Chunin exams held in Konohagakure. (episode 51 – 66)
- The Chōchō Arc / Super Chōchō Butterfly Mode Arc – focuses on Chōchō and is established on Kishimoto’s idea. (episode 67 – 69)
- The Mitsuki’s Disappearance Arc – focuses on Mitsuki leaving Konohagakure and his friends trying to pursue him. (episode 71 – 92)
- The Parent and Child Day Arc – an adaptation of the novel, Naruto Shinden: Parent and Child day. (episode 93 – 95)
- The Juugo Arc / Cursed Seal Arc – gives information regarding the creation and weaponization of cursed seals. (episode 98 – 103)
- The Steam Ninja Scrolls Arc – an adaption of the novel Konoha Shinden: Steam Ninja Scrolls. (episode 106 – 111)
- The Konohamaru’s Love Arc – follows Konohamaru and his love interest. (episode 116 – 119)
- The One-Tail Escort Arc – Focuses on Boruto’s growth in battle. (episode 120 – 126)
- The Time Slip Arc – The 20th-anniversary project for Masashi Kishimoto’s original Naruto manga. Boruto travels through time to Naruto’s generation. (episode 128 – 136)
- The Mujina Bandits Arc – introduces a group of shinobi, Missing nin, and the leader, Shojoji while team 7 gets involved. (episodes 141 – 151)
- The Kara Actuation Arc – expands on the original manga series, viewers are introduced to the Kara organization. (episode 157 – 175)
- The AO Arc / Vessel Arc – highlights the character development of Boruto, while Naruto also appears in this arc. (episode 178 – 187)
- The Kawaki Arc: Kara Clash – Boruto and Kawaki are brought together by destiny. (episode 188 – 205)
- The Kawaki Arc: Ōtsutsuki Awakening – A struggle between Jigen and Boruto. (episode 206 – 220)
- The Chūnin Re-Examination Arc – Konoha hosts another round of Chūnin Exams. (episode 221- 227)
- The Path to Becoming a Ninja Arc – Kawaki struggles with his missions and Naruto tries to help him (episode 228 – 230)
- The Great Sea Battle of Kirigakure Arc – (episode 232 – current)
Most viewers like to watch Boruto in chronological order. The series is mostly in chronological order already, except for the movie, which is set in between episodes 51 and 52.
- Boruto: Naruto Next Generation (episode 1 – 51)
- Boruto: The Naruto Movie (2015)
- Boruto: Naruto Next Generation (episode 52 – 243)
Where and How to Watch Boruto In Order?
As this is a Japanese anime, an English-speaking viewer will have two options to watch Boruto: with subtitles or dubbed:
- Crunchyroll – English subtitles
- Hulu – English dubbed
- Funimation – English subtitles and dubbed.
Now you know how to watch Boruto: Naruto Next Generations in order, from start to finish. It’s up to you to decide if you will be skipping filler episodes or watching everything.
The series is not showing any signs of closure yet, so stay tuned!